The drone that was shot down on August 14 in the Balvi area entered Latvian airspace from the territory of Belarus.
Latvian Defense Minister Raivis Melnis said this, according to LSM.
An investigation into the wreckage is ongoing in the country. Although there is no official confirmation of the drone’s origin, it was likely a Ukrainian UAV carrying out an attack on targets in Russia that veered off course.
The minister stressed that any drones violating the country’s airspace will continue to be shot down.
He noted that the risk of drones entering Latvian airspace will persist, as Ukraine continues to strike targets in Russia while the Russians use countermeasures.
Meanwhile, Melnis acknowledged that there are currently insufficient counter-drone systems and radar systems along the country’s border.
However, the authorities plan to fully deploy Latvian-made equipment along the entire border with Russia and Belarus by the end of September.
On August 14, a NATO Baltic Air Policing mission fighter jet shot down a drone over Latvia.
According to the Latvian military, the drone entered the country’s airspace as a result of Russian electronic warfare systems.
After 4:00 a.m., the Latvian military reported an “airspace threat” in four areas bordering Belarus and Russia. About half an hour later, they announced that the UAV had been destroyed.
Also, during the night of August 16, a Spanish EF-18 fighter jet shot down a drone that had entered Romanian airspace from the direction of Moldova.
Romania’s Ministry of Defense said the aircraft destroyed the drone over an uninhabited area.
Підтримати нас можна через:
Приват: 5169 3351 0164 7408 PayPal - [email protected] Стати нашим патроном за лінком ⬇
Subscribe to our newsletter
or on ours Telegram
Thank you!!
You are subscribed to our newsletter